During this period, the prosecution would have to bring more evidence to court that would link Johnson to the murder of the Kings and the Armed Robbery committed last week Wednesday evening at Happy Star Chinese Restaurant on Cannegieter Street. He is scheduled to appear in court on Wednesday October 3nd, 2012 where the prosecution will request another eight days as they continue with the investigation.
According to information provided to SMN News, the Prosecutor's Office ordered the detectives that escorted the suspect to court to have the suspect's face covered so that no one would see the stitches he received after being beaten by police during his arrest early Sunday morning. Late last week, the Attorney General of St. Maarten Taco Stein said in a press release that Johnson had resisted his arrest and he had to be taken to the hospital for treatment. Stein also said that police searched the house where the suspect was found hiding out but at no time did he say that they arrested or detained the suspect's girlfriend or police mistreated her.
On Wednesday, 28 year old M.K.J. was led before the judge of instruction. The judge considered both the arrest and the prolongation of the custody as lawful. Custody will now last until October 3rd, 2012, when a new decision on pre-trial detention will have to be taken.
The suspect refrained from giving any statement to the judge and the police pertaining to the case.
After the first 10 days of custody, the prosecution will decide whether they will ask the judge for another extension of the suspect's pre-trial detention. This phase could last a maximum of another 106 days. However, a judge will have to decide on prolongation several times during that period of time. Only by the end of the pre-trial detention the prosecution will decide whether they will charge the suspect or release him, pending further investigation.
Police conducted a door-to-door investigation at the Ocean Club Resort where they questioned possible witnesses on Wednesday. In addition, over the past few days an extensive amount of video footage from surveillance cameras was secured which will be studied.
Police and prosecution have been in contact with the FBI who offered assistance in the investigation. This offer was kindly accepted and both Police and prosecution are now discussing with FBI where the help could be most effective. It is likely that some investigation will have to be conducted in the USA. This will be formally asked for.
The first information reached the Police through the police information lines. This information will be investigated.
In case of relevant information: please call 9300 (on Sint Maarten) or when abroad: call +1-721-542 0345
Click here to view more photos of the suspect as he was taken to the Court House on Wednesday morning.