Vinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.x
Vinaora Nivo Slider 3.x

MP Omar Ottley Breaks Silence on Arrest; Prosecutor’s Office Says Investigation Continues.

omarottley0052024PHILIPSBURG:---  Member of Parliament Omar Ottley on Monday publicly addressed his arrest for the first time, strongly denying allegations tied to an ongoing public assault investigation linked to an incident at Carnival Village during the opening night of Carnival 2026.

Speaking during a live interview, Ottley described the events leading up to his arrest, accused authorities of attempting to damage his reputation through sensational headlines, and questioned the timing and handling of the investigation. His comments came shortly after the Prosecutor’s Office issued an official statement confirming that his brother, Mhalik Ottley, had been released from custody by order of the Court.

The case has generated significant public discussion over the arrest of a sitting Member of Parliament, the role of the National Detectives (Landsrecherche), and the legal procedures governing investigations involving elected officials.

Ottley Claims He Tried to De-escalate Carnival Altercation

According to Ottley, the incident in question occurred on April 11, 2026, during the opening night festivities at Carnival Village. He stated that his brother was seated at a family booth when another man allegedly approached aggressively and was asked to leave the area.

Ottley said he personally attempted to calm the situation.

“I did absolutely nothing,” Ottley stated during the interview. “I was trying to stop the situation and asking the individual to leave.”

The MP explained that after the individual was escorted away by booth security, the man allegedly returned carrying a knife and rushed toward his brother, sparking a physical altercation. Ottley claimed the disturbance was eventually broken up by security personnel.

Approximately an hour later, according to Ottley, the same individual allegedly returned with relatives and friends, resulting in another confrontation.

Ottley said his role throughout the incident was to separate persons involved and prevent the situation from escalating further.

“I kept telling people to stop,” he said. “The cameras in Carnival Village will show that I didn’t touch anyone.”

Claims of Extortion Attempt

During the interview, Ottley also alleged that shortly after the Carnival incident, persons connected to the matter contacted him seeking money before filing a complaint with the police.

According to the MP, a woman called him and informed him that those individuals intended to go to the police and media unless financial compensation was provided.

Ottley said he refused because he maintained he had done nothing wrong.

“They called me first asking for money before going to the police,” he alleged. “I said they would have to do that because the cameras would show I did nothing.”

The MP did not provide evidence publicly supporting the claim, and authorities have not commented on the allegation.

Arrest at Family Home

Ottley recounted that on Friday morning, May 15, while preparing to take his daughter to the airport for a school trip, police officers arrived at his residence with an arrest order.

He said officers informed him he was being arrested in connection with allegations of public violence and handling stolen goods.

The MP emphasized that the National Detectives conducted themselves professionally during the arrest and questioning process and stated he did not blame the police officers involved.

“I don’t blame the police,” Ottley said. “The detectives were respectful and professional.”

However, he questioned why authorities chose to arrest him publicly instead of requesting that he voluntarily appear for questioning.

“They could have called me in,” he said. “The motive was the headlines and the publicity.”

Ottley claimed the intention was to create sensational media coverage and damage his public image both locally and internationally.

Explanation of “Handling Stolen Goods” Allegation

Ottley also addressed allegations concerning “handling stolen goods,” which he said stemmed from jewelry reportedly lost during the altercation.

According to the MP, relatives of one of the individuals involved later contacted him regarding a missing chain. He explained that after the disturbance, items left behind had been collected and placed at the booth, as often occurs during crowded Carnival events.

Ottley said he later returned one of the chains to the family after being approached about it.

“That is what they are calling handling stolen goods,” he stated. “I returned the property because I was asked to hold it.”

He argued that his actions were intended to help return belongings to their rightful owner and not conceal stolen property.

Prosecutor’s Office Clarifies Legal Procedure

Meanwhile, the Prosecutor’s Office issued an official press release on Monday confirming that Mhalik Ottley had been released from detention following a decision by the Court.

According to prosecutors, the Court determined that continued detention was unnecessary for the investigation to proceed and that Mhalik Ottley would remain available to investigators if required.

The statement noted that both Omar Ottley and Mhalik Ottley remain suspects in the ongoing criminal investigation.

Authorities confirmed that both men were arrested, one by National Detectives, and the other by KPSM, on May 15 in connection with an alleged public assault at Carnival Village.

The Prosecutor’s Office also responded to public concern regarding the arrest of a sitting MP.

According to prosecutors, Sint Maarten law allows the arrest and investigation of parliamentarians under the same procedures applicable to any suspect. However, before formal prosecution of an MP can proceed, the Prosecutor’s Office must first obtain authorization from the Joint Court of Justice.

“With regard to the MP, who remains a suspect in the investigation, it should be noted that under St. Maarten law, the investigation and arrest of a parliamentarian follow the same procedures applicable to any other suspect,” the statement read.

“The distinction is that the Prosecutor’s Office must obtain permission from the Joint Court of Justice before formal charges can be brought against an MP.”

The Prosecutor’s Office further stated that no additional information would be released while the investigation remains ongoing.

Ottley Suggests Political Motivation

Throughout the interview, Ottley repeatedly suggested the investigation was politically motivated and tied to ongoing political developments in St. Maarten.

The MP referenced previous controversies surrounding his screening process for public office and prior public allegations made against him, arguing that repeated attempts have been made to damage his reputation.

“There’s always an attempt to create a narrative around me,” Ottley said.

He also linked the timing of the case to broader political maneuvering, claiming opponents are attempting to weaken his political future.

“They are trying to create a narrative that if the government falls, I cannot become Prime Minister,” he alleged.

Ottley did not provide evidence supporting the claim of political interference.

Brother Released by Court

The release of Mhalik Ottley on Monday became another major talking point during the interview.

Ottley argued that if authorities possessed strong evidence against his brother, the Court would not have ordered his release.

“The judge said they cannot hold him for robbery because it made no sense,” Ottley stated.

He maintained that surveillance footage and witness testimony would ultimately support their version of events.

Calls for Equal Application of Justice

The interview concluded with both Ottley and the program host emphasizing that if crimes are committed, individuals should face legal consequences regardless of status or position.

Ottley stated that he supports lawful prosecution where evidence exists, but insisted justice must be applied fairly and according to proper legal procedures.

“If someone commits a crime, they should face the consequences,” he said. “But justice must follow the law.”

The MP also indicated that he intends to pursue legal action against individuals he claims falsely accused him during the investigation.

The investigation by the National Detectives and the Prosecutor’s Office remains ongoing.


Minister Gumbs Launches 2nd Annual Dame Ruby Bute National Short Story Contest.

PHILIPSBURG:---  The Minister of Education, Culture, Youth and Sport (MECYS) proudly announces the launch of the second annual Dame Ruby Bute National Short Story Contest, an initiative designed to promote literacy, creative expression, and cultural appreciation among St. Maarten’s youth.

The contest is open to all students aged 12 to 14, with participants invited to submit original stories between 750 and 3000 words. Submissions will be accepted from August 1 to August 21, 2026, with winners to be announced in recognition of International Literacy Day on September 8.

This year’s theme, “Beats, Bytes & Bacchanal,” challenges students to imagine Carnival in 2050 and explore how artificial intelligence and emerging technologies may shape the future of St. Maarten’s most celebrated cultural tradition. Participants are encouraged to creatively examine how innovation and cultural heritage can coexist, ensuring that the spirit, identity, and energy of Carnival endure in a rapidly evolving world.

“Carnival is a powerful expression of who we are as a people, our rhythm, our resilience, and our creativity,” said Minister Melissa D. Gumbs. “Through this year’s theme, we are inviting our young people to think boldly about the future, while remaining grounded in the cultural traditions that define us. It is through this balance that we continue to build a strong and confident national identity.”

Entries will be judged on originality, creativity, coherence, and adherence to the theme. Strict rules prohibit plagiarism and limit the use of AI-generated content to 3%, reinforcing the importance of authentic student voice and originality. Winners will receive cash savings accounts sponsored by the Royal Bank of Canada, along with tech-based writing tools and opportunities for publication.

The contest is named in honour of Dame Ruby Bute, St. Maarten’s first published female author and a revered cultural icon whose lifelong contributions to storytelling, education, and the arts continue to inspire generations.

Schools, families, and youth organisations are encouraged to support student participation, particularly during the upcoming July/August vacation period. Full contest details, rules, and submission guidelines will be made available via the Ministry’s official website and social media platforms.

Prime Minister Mercelina Meets with President Louis Mussington to Address Traffic Challenges and Strengthen Bilateral Cooperation.

mercelinamussington18052026MARIGOT:--- Prime Minister Luc Mercelina met last Wednesday (May 13th, 2026) with President of the Territorial Council of the Collectivity of Saint-Martin Louis Mussington to discuss the ongoing traffic challenges affecting both sides of the island and to explore practical solutions through strengthened bilateral cooperation.

The meeting focused on several critical matters, including traffic congestion, cross-border mobility, infrastructure coordination, and the need for greater technical cooperation to improve traffic circulation and mobility island-wide.

Also participating in the meeting were Minister of VROMI Patrice Gumbs, along with Government officials supporting both the Sint Maarten and Saint-Martin delegations.

Prime Minister Mercelina emphasized that traffic congestion has become a serious island-wide issue impacting residents, businesses, emergency services, and the tourism sector.

“Traffic congestion is no longer simply an inconvenience. It directly affects productivity, public safety, tourism, and the overall quality of life for our people. This is a shared challenge that requires practical cooperation and coordinated solutions between both sides of the island,” stated Prime Minister Mercelina.

During the discussions, both parties acknowledged the importance of enhancing technical collaboration between the relevant ministries and departments responsible for traffic management, infrastructure, transportation, and public safety.

Particular emphasis was placed on strengthening cooperation involving the Ministries of TEATT, Justice, and VROMI, as well as their counterparts on the French side, in order to support coordinated planning, traffic management initiatives, road safety measures, and long-term mobility solutions.

It was agreed that Minister of VROMI Patrice Gumbs will take the lead on behalf of the Government of Sint Maarten, together with his colleagues from the Ministries of TEATT and Justice, in the establishment and coordination of the proposed technical cooperation committee.

“Improving mobility on our island requires a comprehensive and coordinated approach. Through stronger technical cooperation between our respective ministries and services, we can work toward practical and sustainable solutions that benefit the people on both sides of the island,” the Prime Minister stated.

The meeting also addressed the importance of data sharing and evidence-based planning. Prime Minister Mercelina requested updated statistics regarding vehicle registrations on the French side to support future traffic assessments and island-wide mobility planning.

“Reliable and shared data is essential if we are to properly assess the scale of the traffic situation and develop sustainable, long-term solutions that benefit both Sint Maarten and Saint-Martin,” said Prime Minister Mercelina.

Both parties acknowledged the importance of continued dialogue and technical cooperation in addressing mobility challenges affecting the island’s residents and visitors.

Prime Minister Mercelina and President Mussington are also scheduled to hold a further bilateral meeting on June 4, 2026, as part of continued discussions on additional matters of mutual importance between Sint Maarten and Saint-Martin.

The meeting forms part of the Government of Sint Maarten’s broader commitment to strengthening bilateral relations and pursuing practical solutions that improve the daily lives of the people of Sint Maarten.

Orco Bank Volunteers Restore Youth Greenhouse and Community Gazebo in First Orco Cares Initiative.

orcobankgreenhouse18052026PHILIPSBURG:---   On Saturday, May 16, 2026, a team of Orco Bank Sint Maarten employees took to the streets of Sucker Garden as part of SXM Doet, completing two hands-on community improvement projects under the bank's newly launched Orco Cares program.
In partnership with the No Kidding With Our Kids Foundation, the Orco Cares team restored a youth greenhouse at the ASA location on Sucker Garden Road, replacing worn netting, reinforcing the structure, and repainting the exterior, ensuring the facility remains a safe, functional space for youth agriculture programs and environmental education.
Volunteers also worked alongside the Lion Civic Center to install wooden lattice fencing around an outdoor gazebo, a space used daily by children for structured programs and activities. The completed fencing significantly improves safety, reduces fall risks, and enhances the overall environment for youth programming.
"Our team was incredible," said Judy King of Orco Bank Sint Maarten. "Watching my colleagues give their Saturday, their energy, their tools, their hearts to improve spaces for the children of Sint Maarten is exactly what Orco Cares is about. We're proud of what we built together, and we're just getting started."
Orco Cares will continue with future community initiatives throughout 2026 and beyond.

CBCS expands stress testing framework for banks, pension funds, and insurers.

WILLEMSTAD/PHILIPSBURG:---  The Centrale Bank van Curaçao en Sint Maarten (CBCS) has expanded its stress testing framework following recommendations from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) to further strengthen the monitoring of risks in the financial sector.
Stress tests help the CBCS assess how banks, insurers, and pension funds would perform during periods of economic or financial stress. The tests use different scenarios, ranging from normal economic conditions to more severe situations, to evaluate how financial institutions could be affected by shocks such as economic downturns, financial market volatility, or natural disasters. This helps the CBCS identify vulnerabilities early and take timely measures to help safeguard financial stability in Curaçao and Sint Maarten.
As part of the expanded framework, the CBCS further strengthened its banking sector stress tests by introducing macroeconomic stress testing, which assesses how banks could be affected by developments such as lower economic growth, rising unemployment, or weaker tourism activity. At the same time, the CBCS introduced initial stress tests for pension funds to assess risks related to, for example, global financial market turmoil and a local economic downturn. For non-life insurers, the initial stress tests covered scenarios related to potential natural disasters.
Overall, the stress test results show that financial institutions in the monetary union remain broadly resilient under normal and moderate stress scenarios. However, the results also highlight that vulnerabilities become more visible under severe scenarios, particularly in areas such as asset quality, liquidity pressures, market developments, and claims-related risks.
The stress tests also assess the connections between financial sectors and how risks may spread through the financial system during periods of stress. While the results indicate that the financial system remains broadly resilient, the CBCS emphasizes that continued monitoring and forward-looking risk assessments remain essential in an increasingly uncertain global environment.
The expanded stress testing framework forms part of the CBCS’s broader efforts to strengthen its macroprudential oversight and follows recommendations made during the IMF’s 2025 technical assistance mission. In line with IMF recommendations on transparency, the CBCS also presents the stress testing models and their development in the 2026 Financial Stability Report (FSR).

The CBCS will continue strengthening its financial stability framework through enhanced stress testing, improved data collection, and targeted policy measures aimed at supporting a resilient financial system in Curaçao and Sint Maarten.
The 2026 Financial Stability Report is available on the CBCS website at:
https://www.centralbank.cw/publications/financial-stability-reports/2026
Willemstad, May 18, 2026
CENTRALE BANK VAN CURAÇAO EN SINT MAARTEN


Subcategories

Vinaora Nivo Slider 3.x

RADIO FROM VOICEOFTHECARIBBEAN.NET

Vinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.x
Vinaora Nivo Slider 3.x
Vinaora Nivo Slider 3.x
Vinaora Nivo Slider 3.x
Vinaora Nivo Slider 3.x
Vinaora Nivo Slider 3.x