PHILIPSBURG:--- Member of Parliament Christopher Emmanuel said in a press release that he has serious concerns regarding the current pricing of Petroleum products on the island relating to LPG, fuel and low sulfur diesel.
The Member of Parliament believes the people of St. Maarten have a right to know accurate and concise calculations relating to these products. No longer shall it simply be that everything is calculated by world market. This Member of Parliament would like to know who are the importers of LPG, fuel and low sulfur diesel. Also any additional products sold on the island which is derived from the same barrel.
My further concerns are:
- What procedures are used for the calculations of the published prices?
- Who calculates these prices?
- What world postings are used to calculate the pricings?
- How often are these prices adjusted?
- When and how the wholesale/retailers are notified or price change?
- Prices in the petroleum products; how is it that some increase or decrease but others don’t? For example, the price of LPG decreased, but the price for jet fuel remains the same when both products are derive from the same barrel of crude oil?
The Member of Parliament will be requesting, through the Chairlady, a meeting with Minister of TEATT to discuss the issue of petroleum and in the interest of transparency.