Buncamper Molanus and her husband have been making the news these past three weeks when media reports showed that the Buncampers sold the economic rights of long lease land granted to them. The Minister from the Democratic Party was asked by her party as well as by their coalition partners to resign after the scandal broke but she refused saying she did nothing wrong and resigning would be admission of guilt.
Member or Parliament and faction leader of the National Alliance William Marlin outlined the ongoing saga regarding the sale of the economic rights for a parcel of land the Minister and her husband received from the former executive council in which she was a commissioner. Marlin also explained to the members of parliament that he had authorized several persons who owned heavy equipments to fill in land on Pond Island to park their heavy equipments with the intention to grant them long leases for the land they filled in. Marlin said by the time he left government the subdivision plan for Pond Island was not ready but several departments of VROM knew of the agreements he made with the businessmen. He further explained that Minister Maria Buncamper Molanus and her husband Claudius Buncamper a section head at VROM knowingly and intentionally took away the land from Elmer Mardenborough when they obtained their first lease for the island. Marlin said not only did the Buncampers take away the land but they subleased the land on that same day to St. Maarten Building Supplies. Marlin said when the Buncampers acquired the long lease they sold the economic rights to the property to ECO GREEN for a whopping three million dollars. ECO Green he said was established just three days prior to the sale of the economic rights. Marlin said it is clear that the Buncampers scheme was to enrich themselves instead of representing the people of St. Maarten when she was elected to public office.
Minister Maria Buncamper Molanus in addressing parliament said what was done to her family this past three weeks was inhumane and while she is accused of money laundering and forgery she still does not know what crimes she committed. Buncamper Molanus in the second round made her position available.
Marlin then said this was déjà vu because the Minister faced a similar situation in 2008 and she resigned and was subsequently re-appointed. Prime Minister Sarah Wescot Williams then confirmed that Minister Buncamper Molanus has tendered her resignation and that the coalition would deal with it appropriately. At that point Marlin said his faction would withdraw the motion presented to parliament in the hopes that the coalition government would do the honourable thing and sign in a new Minister.
The Parliament of Sint Maarten, in its meeting of today, December 23, 2010, considering;
- That the objective of politicians seeking public office, and politicians holding public office, should never be with the intention and or objective to enrich themselves, through decisions of the government they form part of.
- That in the period of January 2008 through January 2009, Mrs. Maria Buncamper-Molanus was a member of the Island Council of St. Maarten and also served as a Commissioner in the Executive Council of St. Maarten.
- That during above mentioned period, the Executive Council of St. Maarten in its resolution #129 of February 14, 2008, granted a parcel of land of 4623 m2, further described in Certificate of Admeasurement 230/2007, in long lease to Mrs. Maria Buncamper-Molanus and her spouse, Claudius A. Buncamper.
- That the annual "canon" for the parcel of land was set to Naf. 18.492,00.
- That the Deed was passed at the offices of Notary Gijsbertha on April 1st, 2008.
- That on April 10, 2008 the Deed was registered in the Public Registers of Sint Maarten in Register C, Volume 244 number 8.
- That on December 19th, 2008 Mrs. Maria Buncamper Molanus and her spouse Claudius A. Buncamper, sold the Economic Ownership of mentioned parcel of land to Eco Green for an amount of 3 million US Dollars, with a down payment of $1.631.297.00 and monthly installments of $18.750,00 as of January 1, 2009.
- • That on this same date, December 19th, 2008, Eco Green signed a commercial lease agreement with St. Maarten Building Supplies for the lease of mentioned property.
- That Eco Green was registered at the Chamber of Commerce of St. Maarten on December 16th, 2008, 3 days before the sale and purchase agreement was signed.
- That it is clear, that Mrs. Maria Buncamper-Molanus and her spouse, Claudius A. Buncamper, had significant financial gain through obtaining a parcel of land in long lease, of which they sold the economic ownership for 3 million dollars, 8 months later.
- To condemn the actions of Mrs. Maria Buncamper-Molanus, who presently serves as Minister of Public Health and Labour, as described in the considerations mentioned above.
- To declare that the actions of Mrs. Maria Buncamper-Molanus, described above were not in keeping with the principles of good governance and transparency.
- That Minister Maria Buncamper-Molanus, therefore, no longer enjoys the confidence of the Parliament of Sint Maarten.
And goes over to the order of the day.
Copies of this motion to be sent to:
The Governor of Sint Maarten.