PHILIPSBURG:--- In the light of the summer vacation, the KSPM traffic department has been receiving a number of complaints regarding children riding their bikes in the road unsafely and would like to provide a short list of safety tips to be safe while riding bikes.
1. Obey the rules of the road. They are put in place for your road safety as well as all road users around you.
2. Always wear a helmet. In the event of any falls you will be protected.
3. Wear bright-colored or reflective clothing while riding. The bright colors help all road users clearly identify that you are also making use of the road.
4. Always ride with traffic – never against it.
5. Parents should be aware of where their children are going. Have a discussion with your children because they go out on the roads to be sure that they are aware of what is expected of them once they are using the public roads to ride their bikes.
On behave of the Sint Maarten Police force we would like to wish all a happy and safe summer 2019. We will continue to ensure that the roadways are safe but the community must also play its part.
KPSM Press Release