PHILIPSBURG:--- The Unified unions of Sint Maarten submitted today Thursday, May 28, 2020, a counter-proposal to the Council of Minister regarding the 12.5% cuts on personnel salaries, vacation allowance, etc.
In its counterproposal the unions are requesting the following:
1. 100% vacation allowance pay for 2020 (Unions are willing to negotiate a 50% of the Cost of Living Adjustment from 2012-2019 pending the outcome of St. Maarten’s economic performance and Government’s financial position during said period 2021-2022);
2. A poverty line study to be initiated in collaboration with USM and the Consumer’s coalition by July 1st 2020 to establish the actual poverty level on St. Maarten;
3. Implementation of a new/broadened Basket of Goods decree by July 1st 2020 that consists at least of maximum prices for basic goods such as (food, internet, water, rent, electricity, phone bill, etc):
4. Lower the cost of basic needs by at least 12.5% by July 1st 2020 until further notice (food, internet, water, rent, electricity, phone bill, etc);
5. Accelerate placement process of the Police before July 1st 2020;
6. Initiate implementation of an Economic stimulus plan by July 1st 2020;
7. Increase the fees for directors from Naf 500 to Naf1000;
8. See counter proposal submitted on May 14th, 2020 for further possible cuts.
The Unified unions are demanding that a Poverty line study is conducted as soon as possible and the cost of living on Sint Maarten is reduced immediately by 12.5% to ensure all citizens of Sint Maarten, in particular our brothers and sisters in the private sector too can receive relief.